Ensuring Sustainable, Adaptive Agro-Ecosystems
UNDER THE AGROCLIMATE SCIENCE EMPHASIS AREA, NIFA supports the development of sustainable agriculture and forestry-based strategies to mitigate the effects of climate variability and change. These strategies include the development of selective breeding of crops and livestock, agronomic and animal husbandry practices, help producers reduce atmospheric greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and maximize carbon sequestration. The programs seek to:
- Identify new production practices that increase soil carbon while reducing GHG emissions;
- Reduce energy, nitrogen, carbon, and water footprints in agricultural production systems;
- Translate genomics research and resulting technologies to the agricultural and forestry production sector to adapt to climate variability;
- Develop and implement new nitrogen fertilizer recommendations that optimize yields while reducing GHG emissions; and
- Improve agricultural and forest sector inputs to climate change models.