Food Safety Outreach Program
USDA-NIFA announces the Food Safety Outreach Competitive Grant Program to fund food safety training and education for those affected by the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA).
The Food Safety Outreach Program is an expansion of the FY 2015 national infrastructure established by USDA-NIFA and FDA-CFSAN (National Food Safety Training, Education, Extension, Outreach, and Technical Assistance Competitive Grants Program). The program focuses on the delivery of customized training to target audiences. To this end, grant proposal solicitations from local communities will include those from community-based organizations, non-governmental organizations, food hubs, farm cooperatives, and other local groups. Awardees will address the needs of owners and operators of small to mid-sized farms, beginning farmers, socially-disadvantaged farmers, small processors, or small fresh fruit and vegetable merchant wholesalers. NIFA anticipates the size and capabilities of applicants will vary widely, so we are seeking proposals for three levels of awards:
- Pilot Projects (NTE $50K each)
- Community Outreach Projects (NTE $150K each)
- Multistate Education and Training Projects (NTE $400K each).
The full Request for Application can be found on the NIFA website.
ProgRam Tip Sheets
- Food Safety Outreach Program - Pilot Project Tip Sheet
- Food Safety Outreach Program - Community Outreach Project Tip Sheet
- Food Safety Outreach Program - Multi-State Education and Training Project Tip Sheet