Capacity Grantee Resources
This page contains resources capacity grantees can use in managing their grants, including detailed information and resources on the equipment prior approval requirement for capacity grants.
2020 Capacity Grant Budget information
Frequently asked questions, sample budgets and budget narratives, draft capacity grants.gov application guide, and other resources are now available for review and comment! Comments are due by December 15, 2018 and may be emailed to email@example.com.
- 2020 Capacity Grant Budget Information for review and comment - Published November 1, 2018
- 7 CFR 3419 Final Rule - 1890 and Insular Area Matching Requirements - Published May 11, 2018
- CFDA 10.500 Change - Effective October 1, 2018
- Time and Effort Reporting — Uniform Guidance Compensation - Personnel Services Fact Sheet - UPDATED - April 20, 2018
- Uniform Guidance Fact Sheet
- 1862 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
- 1890 Land-Grant Colleges and Universities Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
- Insular Area Grant Administrative and Fiscal Requirements
- Authorized Representative Insular Area Institutions Clarification Memorandum from Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy February 15, 2018
- Authorized Representative 1890 Institutions Clarification Memorandum from Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy July 27, 2016
Prior Approval for Equipment
Prior approval from NIFA is required before expenditures are incurred for:
- General purpose equipment costing $5,000 or more and having a useful life of more than one year; and
- Special purpose equipment costing $150,000 or more and having a useful life of more than one year. (Prior approval is waived for special purpose equipment costing less than $150,000.)
What is Prior Approval?
- Requested in advance of expenditure
- Requested and approved in writing
- Includes item name, description/purpose, estimated or actual cost, and estimated useful life
- Specific to an individual grant
- Required if item meets the definition of equipment, regardless of whether it is being purchased by multiple funding sources
Submitting Prior Approval Requests
Grantees can submit prior approval requests via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Requests will be reviewed and responded to within 30 days from receipt of complete information. Approvals will be sent via email to the Authorized Representative submitting the request. Expedited review may be requested.
This page contains definitions of equipment, general purpose equipment, and special purpose equipment.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Equipment Request Template 1 (Table) - UPDATED April 21, 2017
- Equipment Request Template 2 (No table) - ADDED April 21, 2017
- Equipment Request Template 3 (Letter) - ADDED April 21, 2017
- Equipment Request Submission checklist - UPDATED April 21, 2017
- Equipment Request Sample - UPDATED April 21, 2017
- Equipment Prior Approval Information Sheet
- Resources from 12-6-16 Webinar on Submitting Prior Approval for Equipment Requests
- Recording of August 26, 2016 webinar
- Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy video message – August 25, 2016
- June 18, 2016 Memorandum from Cynthia Montgomery