Food and Agriculture Cyberinformatics and Tools Initiative
The Agriculture and Food Research Initiative's Food and Agriculture Cyberinformatics and Tools (FACT) initiative seeks to catalyze activities that harness big data for synthesizing new knowledge, making predictive decisions, and fostering data-supported innovation in agriculture.
FACT focuses on data science to enable systems and communities to effectively utilize data, improve resource management, and integrate new technologies and approaches to further U.S. food and agriculture enterprises. Projects funded through FACT will work to examine the value of data for small and large farmers, agricultural and food industries, and gain an understanding of how data can impact the agricultural supply chain, reduce food waste and loss, improve consumer health, environmental and natural resource management, affect the structure of U.S. food and agriculture sectors, and increase U.S. competitiveness.
FACT will fund targeted investments in data science, infrastructure, and cross disciplinary data driven decision making for:
- Data-driven advances in agriculture and the food production system;
- Cross-sector advances in data applications;
- Data-driven advances to address societal well-being and consumer demands;
- Data management and application;
- Developing a data literate workforce and end-user; and
- Big data in communication, property rights, and communities
FACT Funding Opportunities
- AFRI Foundational and Applied Science RFA within the Agriculture Systems and Technology program area
- AFRI Education and Workforce Development RFA within the Research, Education, and Extension for Undergraduates (REEU) program
- FY 2018 FACT Webinar (Note: the recording password is rPH8nnGX)
- Transcript for FACT Webinar recording