Cover crops are widely seen as one of the most promising conservation practices, improving soil health while also removing carbon from the atmosphere. But while the number of Midwestern farmers planting cover crops has increased markedly in recent years, 2017 USDA Census data show only about 5 percent have adopted the conservation practice. The reluctance of the other 95 percent may be due, in part, to a perception that cover crops require more effort and may also negatively affect summer cash crop yield.
NIFA recently awarded 14 Biotechnology Risk Assessment Grants (BRAG) Program grants to support risk assessment, mitigation, and containment research pertaining to the introduction of genetically engineered organisms into the environment. BRAG projects will provide federal policy makers with scientific knowledge to identify and develop appropriate management practices to minimize any risks associated with genetically engineered animals, plants, and microorganisms.
NIFA Invests $2.9 Million for Research and Extension on Alfalfa Productivity, Resilience, Quality, and Marketing
NIFA recently awarded five grants for integrated research to increase alfalfa yield and quality; improve harvest and storage systems; and extension efforts to support alfalfa marketing through better yield and quality estimate methods. These grants are part of the Alfalfa Seed and Alfalfa Forage System Program (ASAFS), which supports collaborative research and extension to improve efficiency and sustainability of conventional and organic alfalfa production.
NIFA recently awarded five awards through the Supplemental and Alternative Crops (SAC) Competitive Grants Program. SAC supports projects that lead to expanded adaptation and increased acres in the United States of canola grown for oil and industrial hemp grown for value-added products. SAC supports the breeding, testing, and development of superior performing canola and industrial hemp varieties and production practices that result in improved cost efficiencies, reduced grower risks, and wider use in production systems.
Throughout September and October, USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) will be recognizing the achievements and contributions of the Hispanic community who are helping grow our Nation.
MCSFR & RREA Administrative Meeting Brochure
NIFA Invests 5.1 Million in Food and Agricultural Sciences Research Equipment
NIFA Invests 3.3 Million in Graduate and Postgraduate Food and Agricultural Research Students
As Virgin Islanders mobilize to increase their food security, the University of the Virgin Islands’ Caribbean Green Technology Center and the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands teamed up to aid farmers and families by donating more than 850 fruit trees on St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix, Virgin Islands.
Capacity Grants Prior Year Documents