Specialty Crop Research Initiative (SCRI), Funded Projects
The Specialty Crop Research Initiative (SCRI) supports the specialty crop industry by developing and disseminating science-based tools to address the needs of specific crops. Specialty crops are defined in law as "fruits and vegetables, tree nuts, dried fruits, and horticulture and nursery crops, including floriculture."
Funded projects address five focus areas:
1. Improve crop characteristics through plant breeding, genetics, and genomics,
2. Address threats from pests and diseases,
3. Improve production efficiency, productivity, and profitability,
4. Develop new innovations and technologies, and
5. Develop methods to improve food safety.