Terms and Conditions
Award terms and conditions are determined by statutory, regulatory, and agency requirements, as well as each grant’s circumstances. Terms and conditions dictate important items related to your grant, including method of payment, reporting frequency and content, and prior approval requirements.
References to the terms and conditions of your award are located on the Notice of Award. NIFA's general award terms and conditions apply to all research and research-related (i.e., research, education, and extension) grants, cooperative agreements, and special projects, awarded to institutions of higher education, hospitals, and other non-profit and for-profit organizations, except Capacity, 1890 Facilities, and Small Business Innovation Research Programs (SBIR) (see bottom of page for specific terms applicable to these exceptions).
NIFA'S GENERAL AWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- June 2017: Research Terms and Conditions, Beginning June 2017 (excepted-Capacity, 1890 Facilities and SBIR)
NIFA utilizes the updated Research Terms and Conditions (RTC) that address and implement the Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (2 CFR 200) issued by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB). All related documents including appendices and agency-specific terms and conditions are housed on a web site maintained by the National Science Foundation.
Visit the NSF website (link is external) to access this critical information (see https://www.nsf.gov/awards/managing/rtc.jsp).
For your convenience, direct links to these award terms and conditions are included below.
Research Terms and Conditions
- Dec 2014 through October 2016: NIFA General Award Terms and Conditions
- NIFA General Terms and Conditions Grants and Cooperative Agreements - dated October 2016
- NIFA General Terms and Conditions Grants and Cooperative Agreements - dated March 2016
- OGFM issued correspondence – Updated September 2, 2015 Replacement of Award Terms and Conditions
- NIFA General Terms and Conditions Grants and Cooperative Agreements - dated December 26, 2014
- Dec 25, 2014 and Prior: For awards with an award date preceding December 26, 2014
All related documents including appendices and agency-specific terms and conditions are housed on a web site maintained by the National Science Foundation. Visit the NSF website to access this critical information.
Program-Specific Award Terms used in Conjunction with the General Award Terms and Conditions
In addition to the general award terms, some grant programs have program-specific terms and conditions:
Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI)
AFRI Sustainable Bioenergy CAP, September 2011
Biomass Research and Development Initiative (BRDI)
AWARD TERMS FOR PROGRAMS EXCEPTED FROM NIFA’s GENERAL AWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS