NIFA has suspended the requirement for states to submit 2018 Plans of Work in fiscal year 2017 (see memo below). This means only an Annual Report of Accomplishments and multi-state and integrated activity forms will be due, via the POW application by April 3, 2017.
The Plan of Work (POW) tool enables NIFA to carry out requisites of the Agricultural Research, Extension, and Education Reform Act of 1998 (AREERA) and the National Agricultural Research, Extension, and Teaching Policy Act of 1977, which are the funding authorities for Extension and Research activities. The AREERA Plans of Work (POWs) pertain only to the Smith-Lever 3(b) and 3(c), Hatch, Evans-Allen, and 1890 Extension funds. AREERA requires states to submit five-year POWs in order to receive federal funding. In association with their annual POWs, states are also required to submit Annual Reports of Accomplishments and Results (ARs) as well as supplemental reports on Multistate Extension and Integrated Research and Extension Activities.View this tool
Who uses the tool
The two groups of primary users include the 1862 and 1890 Land-Grant Universities (LGUs) and NIFA staff. 1) Users at the LGUs include business and financial administrators who manage reporting for the capacity funds. Deans and Directors serve as signatory authorities. 2) NIFA staff include National Program Leaders who serve as State Liaisons; they review and approve integrated POWs and Annual Reports. Other users at NIFA include Planning Accountability and Reporting (PARS) staff as well as Office of Grants and Financial Management (OGFM) staff who manage the business process for report submissions and ensure requirements are met.
How to use the tool
Each Institution eligible to receive Hatch, Hatch Multistate, Smith Lever 3(b) and 3(c), Evans-Allen, or 1890 Extension funds (or combination thereof) must use the POW tool to submit:
- POW Annual Update
- Annual Report of Accomplishments and Results
- Supplemental Forms for Multistate and Integrated Activities: NIFA-PLAN, NIFA-REPT, Brief Summaries (applicable to 1862 Institutions only and does not apply to territories or insular areas)
POW is accessed through the NIFA Reporting Portal. Users who have active accounts in POW will see “Plan of Work” as a link under “Active Applications” upon logging into the Portal. Users may use the “reset password” link on the Portal login screen if they do not remember their password. Users who do not know if they have an active account, but think they need to use POW should email email@example.com.
- Plan of Work 101
- How to Submit the AREERA Supplemental Forms (NIFA-PLAN, NIFA-REPT, Brief Summaries)
- How to Report FTEs in the POW & Annual Report
- How to Write Meaningful Outcomes
- How to Report on the National Outcomes and Indicators
For states that are interested in speaking with NIFA National Program Leaders (NPLs) who have reviewed and provided feedback on their and others' POWs and Annual Reports, you may consult the NPL Reviewer List. All NPL contact information can be found in the Staff Directory.
Historical Data and Reports
- Previously Approved Plans of Work and Annual Reports
- 2013 Annual Report Outcomes Spreadsheet (includes outcomes from all states)
- 2012 Annual Report Outcomes Spreadsheet (includes outcomes from all states)
- POW Final Guidelines (Published in Federal Register July 2006)
- AREERA Multistate and Integrated Activities Guidance
- AREERA Matching Requirements - The Final Rule
- Stakeholder Input Requirements - The Final Rule
- Panel of Experts Final Report and NIFA Response to Final Report
- Manual of Classification
- POW Memo 11-5-12.pdf (42.99KB)