Agriculture, which has high rates of fatalities and serious injuries, ranks among the most dangerous professions in the United States. Training farmers, ranchers, and tree farmers to operate machinery safely and use protective equipment correctly can help reduce the high number of accidents.
Importance of Agricultural Safety
The well-being of our nation’s farmers and agricultural workers is vital to strong communities and the U.S. economy. Safety training gives farm families the awareness and information they need to reduce safety hazards and protect their children who often work on the farm. Safety training enables farmers to:
- Avoid serious and fatal accidents
- Use chemical pesticides and fertilizers safely
- Reduce income lost to agricultural accidents
- Reduce incidences of chemical-related cancers
NIFA improves agricultural safety by supporting programs that teach:
- Appropriate field practices
- Proper equipment use and maintenance
- Safety measures for farm families with children
In addition, NIFA supports disabled farmers and ranchers with training and resources that allow them to continue to work.